In 1955, Mr Vince Crowley called a meeting to investigate the possibility of establishing a Catholic Boys school on the eastern side of Toowoomba to eliminate the need for the boys on the eastern side of town to ride their bikes, sometimes dangerously, to St Mary’s College.
With sufficient interest to make the decision to go ahead, plans were drawn up for the site bounded by Mackenzie, James and Curzon Streets. During the year Bishop Brennan, the Bishop of the Toowoomba Diocese, approached the Christian Brothers to establish a Community at St Joseph’s.
In October a Community of three Brothers was appointedand the Foundation Stone for the new College was laid on 15 December. In 1956, 116 boys were enrolled for the first day at St Joseph’s College.
The College, on its current site, was officially opened by Archbishop Duhig of Brisbane and Bishop Brennan of Toowoomba in a ceremony on 2 September 1956 catering toboys in Grades 4-12.