In 1955, Mr Vince Crowley called a meeting to investigate the possibility of establishing a Catholic Boys school on the eastern side of Toowoomba to eliminate the need for the boys on the eastern side of town to ride their bikes, sometimes dangerously, to St Mary’s College. There was sufficient interest to make the decision to go ahead. In July plans were drawn up for the site bounded by Mackenzie, James and Curzon Streets. During the year Bishop Brennan, the Bishop of the Toowoomba Diocese, approached the Christian Brothers to establish a Community at St Joseph’s. In October a Community of three Brothers was appointed. The Foundation Stone for the new College was laid on 15 December.
In 1956, 116 boys were enrolled for the first day of the new College. The new students had to commence the school year in buildings located behind St Patrick’s Cathedral because the buildings at the current site for the College were not ready. The College, on its current site, was officially opened by Archbishop Duhig of Brisbane and Bishop Brennan of Toowoomba in a ceremony on 2 September 1956. The College was to be for boys in Grades IV to Senior (Years 4-12).
The Changing of the Guard
On 22 June 1982 it was announced that the Christian Brothers would be withdrawing from the College at the end of 1983. In 1982 the College catered for 314 boys from Years 4 -10. (Those wanting to continue their schooling had to go elsewhere, generally St Mary’s College, for Years 11 & 12.)
In 1982 it was also decided that other changes would occur from 1983. The College would be extended to include the Senior years, Years 11 & 12, and the Primary section would gradually be phased out. The College would also become co-educational.
1983 saw the first girls enrolled in Year 8. 1985 saw the last of the Primary classes.